Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fight Night

When I received an email from Carol (our recent social coordinator) about heading out to watch Muay Lao boxing I instantly had the urge to delete the note. I’m not one for anything violent and I have friends that know to never suggest a horror or action movie because I will talk through its entirety or watch through my fingers with clenched teeth.  However, I thought it’s time to be a bit of a risk taker and step out of my comfort zone.  Boxing, here I come!! 

Muay Lao is a traditional unarmed martial art from Laos. It is similar to Muay Thai in Thailand, Pradal Serey in Cambodia, Tomoi in Malaysia and as a similar art called Lethwei in Myanmar. It incorporates punches, kicks, elbows and knee strikes. Muay Lao was an event at the 2009 Southeast Asian Games in Vientiane.



Carol and I doubled on the back of Scoopy the Scooter and met the crew in the school parking lot.  Us along with Mark, Marla, Nick and his son Jonas, Olivier, Jon, and Ollie convoyed to the venue.  I wasn’t sure what to expect but when we arrived we hurriedly parked our bikes.  Now, the nice Lao fella in front of me paid 2000 kip and I paid 5000.  Hmmm!!  20,000 kip was the entrance fee (about $2.50).  When we arrived there were two girls fighting.  One Lao and the other Thai.  It was quite underwhelming so I was quickly at ease about what I was going to see.


              
As I looked at the program, I was quick to realize that the weight classes were so light. This was no WWF, folks!
                                                                                                                                                          
Sadly, I somehow deleted my videos - so, I will let the pictures do the talking!



Apparently it is important to look inside a fighters shorts after  Knock Out!




























Gotta run, my first boxing lesson is in about an hour!





1 comment:

  1. I will give you 50 THOUSAND kip to post a pic of you in some Muay Lao shorts. They are HOT!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete