Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Week With Mom

Last November, my mother embarked on a secret mission to Arizona and bought hers and Dad's retirement home.  In months previous, they pounded the hot pavement but Mom ultimately made the decision when she returned.  They revealed the new house last Christmas while visiting my three sisters in Toronto while I was riding camels in Egypt.  This Christmas I headed to Surprise, Arizona to the sub-division of "Sun City Grand" where I would see the fancy place where all my inheritance was spent!!  After a week with my parents and two of my sisters and a quick trip to Vegas I was looking forward to spending a week alone with mom.

We were extremely lucky with the weather and managed to get ourselves up, pack a cooler, and wolf down some breakfast before heading to the Cimarron - which is one of two activity centers in the community (the other was Adobe).  But, before swimming, we had to nosh on fresh grapefruits from the back yard!!


Here I am, sporting the terry towel beach cover up and $5 glasses ready for the pool!!


The start of the day found Mom and I laying by the pool.  We were either reading, talking, swimming or walking laps.  We were creatures of habit and sat in the same two chairs each day - moving of course at noon to secure prime bathing locale!







On New Years Eve, we headed for our favourite cuisine - Mexican.  Sadly, neither of us made it to midnight and I blame that on the food coma we had!







At first blush you would think that all Mom and I was become bronze beauties and eat out.  You will be surprised to know that we logged more hours outlet and discount shopping than anything else.  My 13 pound overweight luggage - times two was indication!  Macy's, Dress Barn, Shoe Company, Torrid, Old Navy, Bath and Body Works, Ross for Less, etc, etc. etc...

Mom and I enjoyed some mother-daughter time over several dinners, lunches, and snacks by the pool.  (She also introduced me to some smutty "Reality TV").  Here are a few of my new favourites:







I guess this means the next time I see Mom, she will be accompanying Dad on a long journey here.  I wonder what I'll feed them when they arrive?  Sticky rice?  Fish?  Street meat?



2 comments:

  1. Great posts. You captured the week pretty well. We wont talk about the naps, driving the golf cart, Cheesecake Factory, etc. It was a wonderful week. What a unique opportunity for us. It would be great if we could do it again sometime! I can't jump over the credit card balance but it was all worth it. I will have to send you some pictures of the house and yard so you can update the blog so it doesn't look like all we did was eat!!

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Looks like you've been enjoying yourself .... The food, the sun, the shopping!
    We joined your mom and dad for dinner tonight and heard the highlights of your visit! Sounds like you mom enjoyed her week gadding about with you in AZ.

    Keep the blog going .... well done! Cheers Lori

    ReplyDelete