Saturday, January 28, 2012

Toad in the hole!

The Davidson-Kent family graciously invited Carol and I over for dinner.  Now, this is not just a 'regular' dinner - it was "Toad in the hole" night!! 

(Toad in the hole is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with vegetables and onion gravy. The origin of the name "Toad-in-the-Hole" is often disputed. Many suggestions are that the dish's resemblance to a toad sticking its head out of a hole provides the dish with its somewhat unusual name. It is rumoured to have been called "Frog-in-the-Hole", at one time, although little if any evidence corroborates this assertion.It can also be referred to, less popularly, as "sausage toad") (Wikipedia).



I followed Jon around the kitchen trying to figure out how he was making this most popular dish.  What I concluded was:
 
     1)  Wrap sausages in bacon - A Davidson twist...not traditional
     2)  Get pan piping hot and place sausages or toads in
     3)  Place the amazingly fragrant rosemary infused Yorkshire pudding batter on top
     4)  Put in hot oven and bake for 40 minutes
     5)  If I got this wrong, Jon will have to make it again for me...shucks!!



Ruby was patiently waiting as dinner was served.  She was eager to be dining on "toads", mashed potatoes, onion gravy, and leeks! 7:00pm is awfully late for dinner she thought...



Louis could hardly contain his excitement.  Rumour had it, he was pretty thrilled to be sharing this most awesome meal with Carol and I - his favourite Canadians!!


With precision, Jon cut the Yorkshire pudding with kitchen scissors and plated this most amazing dish!




Thank goodness Carol snagged the camera.  I was so excited to dive into this culinary masterpiece that I forgot to finish taking pictures.  Onion gravy - first time trying it and it was DELISH!!



Ruby didn't have much to say as she rolled up her sleeves and got down to business.  After two helpings, Louis was proud of his empty bowl!!





While dinner digested, Carol and I read stories and got cuddles from two of our favourite kiddos. 





After the beauties were in bed, the adults finished off the evening with "Christmas Pudding".  Jon whipped up some cream and whiskey butter - all diet of course.




Dinner with Jon, Linda, Louis, and Ruby is always such a special treat.  As we were saying our good-bye's I heard rumblings that the next feast could very well be Portuguese -themed.  Luckily for me, my dance card is empty and I await the invitation!

No comments:

Post a Comment